понеділок, лютого 09, 2004

Teitur...
I went to see him play on Saturday night at the Rivoli in Toronto with Rachel Epps and Jason Legg. He was great! That concert was definitely the highlight of the last few weeks of my life.
Every morning I wake up to the radio, and consistent repetition of the same 10 - 12 songs is probably the reason why I get out of bed: to turn it off! The lack of creativity and novelty in pop music nowadays could really make one think that "it's all been done before" and "there is nothing new under the sun." And it is true in a sense. But it is very encouraging and refreshing to find an artist every once in a while, whose music and a way of self expression differ from about everyone else's. And Teitur is definitely one of those for me. His unusual tunings and the use of different techniques for the guitar, as well as poetic and actually meaningful lyrics show just how much the modern pop culture (and music in particular) lacks.

Besides, he is just a nice guy, a little shy, who was incredibly surprised by the support and cheer of the audience. People knew a lot of the stuff by heart, and the artist was clearly pleased and appreciated the audience just as much as we appreciated him. We even got to talk to the guy and shake his hand. Cool! Due to the lack of an album (I don't own one yet) and a better idea, I got his autograph on a cigarette pack... oh, well. I think Jay is gonna write an article about him, so I'll say no more about the event.

We were so excited to go!! Hopelessness caused by a girl at the bar who said that the show was sold out was quickly replaced by great joy when we realized that she was wrong. We ended up having some of the best seats. Not bad for 8 bucks...

Anyways, the trip was well worth it, though a little dimmed for me with all the quite unbelievable adventures and challenges I experienced attempting to get back to Hamilton (they made for a good laugh in dorm 11 once I did get back @ 10:30 in the morning on Sunday. Maybe I'll blog about them some other time). So, thank God for Tim Horton's, good people and wonderful music.