понеділок, серпня 15, 2005

Summer school

This is the very first summer in my life when I am working straight through with only an occasional weekend off here and there. To those of you who have been doing it since grade 9 and 10 I can only say one thing: it's a tough go. Though, a few good things did come out of it. Even if God is still holding out what His idea for my life is, this summer I figured out some minor, but interesting details that may help me to at least look in the right direction.

I do:
- find service and physical labour immensely satisfying
- work well under pressure and like high stress jobs
- have a hard time balancing the priority I put on skill and effort vs. some personal qualities in people I work with
- have a tendency to be an anal perfectionist (sorry...)
- sometimes care too much (perpetuates the previous point)
- believe in stewardship more strongly than I thought I did (thanks, Dr. Goheen)
- try to put principles into practice; thus I am labeled a geek at work
- get easily grossed out
- involuntarily follow the rule: the more time is available, the less gets done
- procrastinate when I get an opportunity
- know that minor jobs are important, can make a difference (even if not on a global scale) and be very satisfying

I don't:
- handle well most office jobs
- know how most of what I am learning in my business program will ever be relevant in the real world; ironically, things learned in philosophy and religion classes already are. Go figure that one out...
- have much (ANY) tolerance for incompetence and bad attitude; too bad; it hurts some personal relationships
- train others well
- do a good job delegating
- perform well (at all) if I am bored/don't enjoy my job, even if it is no special challenge. I always hoped I would have the will to, but really now, who am I kidding?
- want to work on Sundays!
- want to graduate and be doing this for the rest of my life